Vero Voice

Kaikoura Quake: Prac­tical Tips To Help You Claim

Tom Hinds

By Jimmy Higgins
Chief Executive Officer

24 November, 2016

We continue to provide support for our customers affected by the Kaikoura earthquake. 

By now you’ll have taken all necessary steps to make sure that you and your family are safe. Many of you will now be assessing the level of damage caused to your property, or the impact on your lives or businesses.

Making a claim

When you’re ready to make a claim, we’re here to help. You can call us on one of the numbers below to lodge your claim, or contact your broker or adviser.

Vero Natural Disaster Line Call us0800 808 121

If you're an AMP Customer, call Call us0508 806 244

If you're an ANZ Customer, call Call us0800 269 252

If you're a Warehouse Money Customer, call Call us0800 801 814

Queries about existing claims

If you’ve already lodged your claim and want to add additional information or have any queries, we’ve set up a dedicated helpline and email address. For queries about existing claims, call Call us0800 808 121, or email Document

Assistance with temporary accommodation

Our contents, home and rural domestic dwelling insurance policies include an alternative accommodation benefit. You may be able to claim for the cost of your temporary accommodation if your home is uninhabitable due to damage caused by the quake.

Call us on the natural disaster line above to lodge your claim for temporary accommodation assistance.

Claims support on the ground

We’ve set up a temporary claims hub at the Craypot Café at 70 West End, in Kaikoura. If you’re in the Kaikoura region, you can come to our claims hub for support and advice on your claim. 

You’ll still need to lodge your claim through our usual channels, but we can help you with this if you need assistance. Our Kaikoura office will be closed for Chritsmas from 23 December, but it will reopen on 9 January 2017.

We aim to set up claims assessment hubs in other regions shortly. Check this page for further updates. You can call our helpline on Call us0800 808 121 if you would like us to visit you.

Tips for lodging your claim

Lodging a claim for residential property damage

If you have a Vero, AMP, ANZ or Warehouse Money policy and your residential house and contents are affected, some of the damage will be covered by EQC. Vero will be acting as EQC's agent to recieve, assess and settle home and contents claims regardless of whether it falls over or under the EQC cap, so please lodge your claim with us, and we'll discuss next steps with you. 

  1. Lodge your claim - contact us on Call us0800 808 121 or use this form to lodge your claim online
  2. Make a list of all items that have been damaged
  3. Take photos of damage. Try not to throw items away, but if you need to make sure you’ve photographed them first. This will speed up completion of your claims documents

If you have a holiday home in the affected regions and you’re out of the area, contact us on Call us0800 808 121 and we can arrange to inspect it for you.

Lodging a claim for your business

Unlike residential claims, the impact on your business will not be covered by EQC. In order to make a claim, you’ll need to:

  1. Contact us on Call us0800 808 121, or contact your broker or adviser to lodge a claim
  2. Take photos of any damage

Depending on your policy, you might need to claim for:

  • Damage to property
  • Financial loss caused by interruption to your business
  • Damage to commercial vehicles

Remember that for damage that was caused by, or is a result of, the earthquake, your natural disaster excess will apply. If you’ve suffered a loss but you’re not sure whether it will exceed your excess, we encourage you to contact us or your broker to lodge a claim anyway. Then you can keep us informed as you investigate the extent of any damage.

Lodging a claim for your farm

Many rural properties in the region have suffered major damage to water pipes, storage tanks, milking sheds and fences. We’re working closely with our rural customers to restore important infrastructure and protect their livestock.

If your farm or home has suffered damage, here are some steps for you to take:

  1. Keep an eye out for ongoing health and safety issues, and look after your employees and your family.
  2. Contact your local authority or council for issues with power or other services.
  3. Contact us, or your broker or adviser, to lodge your claim.
  4. Take photos of any damage, and try not to throw any damaged items away. If you need to for safety purposes (like flooded carpets that you can’t store), make sure you’ve taken photos of them.

Remember, our rural policies include lots of benefits to help you get back up and running. Talk to us or your broker to find out about your options regarding the following:

  • Milk not being picked up because dairy tankers can’t access your farm
  • Farm assets like buildings and plant
  • Utilities like power poles/lines and underground services such as your water supply
  • Alternative accommodation
  • Additional costs you’ve incurred to avoid a reduction in turnover
  • If you have selected and paid for business interruption cover this will also be available following material damage to part of your farm.

Useful links

Share icon

Share this page 

Keep reading

Vero Voice • 6 December 2016

Last week I visited Kaikoura and other areas of the upper South Island that were affected by the Kaikoura earthquake on 14 November.

Paul Smeaton

By Paul Smeaton
Chief Executive Officer

The information in this article has been compiled from various sources and is intended to be factual information only. Full details of policy terms and conditions are available from Vero Insurance New Zealand Limited or your financial adviser. For advice on product suitability, please contact your financial adviser. While we take reasonable steps to ensure that the information contained in this article is accurate and up-to-date, it is subject to change without notice. Vero Insurance New Zealand and its related companies does/do not accept any responsibility or liability in connection with your use of or reliance on this article.