With the Helmsman policy, you’re covered for a wide range of perils, including statutory and employer’s liabilities.
Helmsman provides cover for your vessel’s hull and machinery both on water and on land. The trailer, and any gear and equipment associated with the business and used on board, can also be covered if they’re not already insured.
The vessel, including the hull, machinery, sails and dinghy, are insured together for an Agreed Value, which means that if the vessel is completely lost or destroyed, that’s the amount you’ll be paid.
- Loss or damage to the vessel's hull, machinery and equipment whilst afloat, onshore or being transported on land
- Physical damage caused by a hidden defect in the vessel (but not the cost of repairing or replacing the defective part).
- Accidental loss or damage to the vessel's trailer
- Loss or damage to gear and equipment while it’s on board, or being carried on to or removed from the vessel, up to NZ$2,500 for any one item
- Limited cover for gear and equipment while it’s temporarily ashore
- Reasonable expenses incurred while preventing, or attempting to prevent, loss or damage
- The cost of fire extinguishment and safety flare replacement up to NZ$1,000
- War risks while the vessel is on the water
Loss of earnings
If your vessel is damaged or lost and unable to be used, it could affect your business if you’re forced to cancel pre-booked charters.
Our Helmsman policy can be extended to cover lost earnings while your boat is out of use. You’ll even be covered for lost earnings if your vessel becomes a total loss, up until the day we make the claims payment for your vessel.
- Your third party legal liability for:
- damage to another vessel from collision
- loss of life or bodily injury to people other than crew and employees
- loss or damage to third party property as a result of transportation of the vessel on land
- loss or damage to property like jetties, wharves, buoys and cables
- removal of wreck
- Some aspects of pollution liability up to a maximum of $250,000
- Punitive or exemplary damages up to NZ$250,000
- Legal defence costs for representation at Maritime New Zealand, TAIC or Coroner inquiries up to NZ$25,000.
- Liability for personal property of passengers up to NZ$2,500 for any one item, and NZ$20,000 for any one event
- Rescue costs of passengers and crew members, including reasonable accommodation and travel costs
- NZ$250 a day for attending court proceedings at our request.
Covering defence costs for alleged breaches of New Zealand’s Resource Management, Maritime Transport or Health & Safety in Employment Acts.
Covering your legal liability for an employee sustaining personal injury in New Zealand in the course of their employment in operating any insured vessel.
Legal defence costs
Covering the costs of defending legal action taken against you for any alleged offence under the Crimes Act 1961.