If you're a company or an individual involved in ship repairs, this specialist insurance covers liability for damage that might occur while the vessel is in your care.
While Broadform liability policies often give you some cover for repairing watercraft, it will usually only be for vessels up to a certain length and will be subject to a sub-limit. If you’re repairing ships outside these specifications, it’s worth taking a look at specialist Ship Repairers’ Legal Liability cover.
From small one-man operations providing painting or mending services, up to large companies with specialist facilities that provide engineering services and handle commercial vessels, we’ve got you covered.
It includes legal liability cover for:
- Physical loss or damage arising from faulty workmanship (other than fixing the faulty parts themselves), including liability for the direct costs of towing the vessel to the nearest port of safety
- Loss or damage to vessels in your care, custody and control for the purposes of being worked on
- Loss or damage caused by moving a vessel within the immediate port area (including trial trips)
- Loss or damage to cargo or other property on, or discharged from, the vessel being repaired
- Removal of wreck
- Loss or damage to third party property as a result of repair operations
- Loss or damage to machinery or equipment removed from the vessel for the purposes of repair
- Personal injury occurring in the course of ship repairing operations (excluding that covered by ACC)
Extensions are available to the policy to include protection for
- Detention, demurrage, loss of time, freight, fishing time or charter hire of a vessel as a result of damage covered by the policy
- Damage caused by employees while they are working away from the yard within New Zealand, for which you are legally liable