Commercial Hull

If your vessel is damaged, stolen or vandalised, contact us immediately—we’re here to help.

For some claims, we might need to appoint a surveyor to help you with your claim. Although they won’t take over control or take responsibility, they can give you expert advice relating to maritime incidents which you should take on board.

Contact us

Email us about your claim at

If you’ve been notified of a prosecution or infringement notice, you may need to claim under the Helmsman Legal Defence Costs Extension, call Call us0800 LAWSAFE 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

For after-hours emergency assistance in New Zealand, contact Sedgwick on Call us0800 800 270.


Document PDFHull claim form

Document PDFMarine Insurance contact details

PDF DocumentMarine Claims Information Sheet

For Pleasurecraft claims, see our General Claims page

Brokers and advisers can find more documents in the Broker & Adviser Centre

What to do if your vessel is damaged


If your vessel is on the water, make sure you take care of the safety of your property and your passengers.


Take steps to minimise loss, damage or any potential legal liability. Act as if you have no insurance, and safeguard the insured property or vessel.


Gather evidence, like photographs, video, print-outs from your vessel's electronic equipment and names of witnesses. You can also draw diagrams or annotate marine charts.


If you’ve suffered theft, vandalism or other criminal activity, inform the police.


If you’ve been in an accident, inform Maritime New Zealand of the circumstances.


Send us any communication you receive from third parties involved in the claim or damage.

If the circumstances of your claim could create a claim against you under the third party legal liability section of your policy, you should follow the marine liability claims procedure.

Important icon Important

It's very important that unless you have our written consent, you don't incur any expense in making good any loss or damage, other than to prevent further damage; or negotiate, pay, settle, admit or repudiate any claim to a third party.


Claiming for your pleasurecraft

If your motorboat, sailboat or jetski is damaged or lost, please see our General Claims page for our boat or pleasurecraft claims form.

Go to General Claims

Our claims promise

We know that claim time can be particularly stressful for customers. Our claims teams aim to settle straightforward claims immediately.

If your claim is a bit more complicated, we’ll work with you and your broker or adviser to ensure your claim gets processed as quickly and efficiently as possible. Either way, we promise to treat all our customers fairly.

We’d love to hear your feedback, whether it’s good or bad. Give us feedback or make a claims complaint.

Fair Insurance Code Member Logo

We are a member of the Insurance Council of NZ and adhere to the Fair Insurance Code, which provides you with assurance that we have high standards of service to our customers.