Help and support options

Emergency support

Your insurance may be able to support you with emergency repairs or accommodation. Please call us on 0800 800 134 as soon as possible if you need assistance

Urgent repairs

Before completing any urgent repairs, wait for flood waters to subside and make sure it is safe for you to access your property.

If you need help with urgent repairs to your property to make it safe or prevent further damage, please call us on 0800 800 134.

If you have access to tradespeople, you can make urgent repairs required to make your property safe and help avoid any further loss or damage. You should take plenty of photos and provide a detailed invoice for the work that has been done.

Non-insurance support

As well as accessing insurance support, if you have been affected by severe weather you may be eligible for support from government organisations or community groups.

If you are a Vero customer and you need additional support, in some cases Vero may be able to connect you with additional services.


Financial hardship and capability

Hawke's Bay Regional Council

Hastings District Council

Auckland Council

Civil Defence

Temporary Accommodation Service

Ministry of Social Development

NZCRS – New Zealand Claims Resolution Service


Good Shepherd: No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS)

The HBRC have provided a web page dedicated to cyclone response and recovery, including links to financial support options, general FAQs as well as more detailed information such as (but not limited to) land categorisation, and instruction on the removal of silt and debris.

A Disaster Relief Fund provides financial support to residents and ratepayers of the Hawke’s Bay region who have been affected by Cyclone Gabrielle.

Auckland Council has an Emergency Relief Fund to provide one-off support to Aucklanders who have been affected by the January 2023 flooding and landslips.

Civil Defence teams are supporting the early stages of recovery from Cyclone Gabrielle. For updates and information about support, see

If your home was severely damaged during the severe weather events and you need support finding temporary accommodation, register for support with the Temporary Accommodation Service.

If you’ve been affected by an emergency event, the Ministry of Social Development may be able to provide support and assistance for things like food, bedding, accommodation, or loss of income.

Natural disaster insurance claims can be complex, stressful and confusing. The New Zealand Claims Resolution Service (NZCRS) is here to help homeowners find resolution by providing access to advice, case management where appropriate and legal, engineering and wellbeing support, tailored to their individual needs.

The MoneyTalks helpline provides financial mentorship for people struggling with debt or budgeting.

Good Shepherd NZ provides fair and affordable loans for essential goods and services, in partnership with BNZ and with support from the Ministry of Social Development.


General support & legal guidance

Citizens Advice Bureau

Free, confidential, independent information and advice on rights and access to services.


Mental and physical wellbeing


Age Concern

Victim support


Lifeline provide a safe, effective and confidential service to support the emotional and mental wellbeing of callers.

Age Concern New Zealand is a charity dedicated to people over 65, their friends, and whanau and offers expertise and knowledge on available services for older people. 

Victim Support helps victims and their families to find strength, hope and safety in the face of grief and trauma.

Shine’s Helpline can support anyone being hurt, abused and/or controlled by someone they have a close relationship with.

Phone: 0800 543 354 or


SMS: Text HELP (4357)

Disclaimer – The information on this page is of a general nature only, intended to provide guidance about how your claim may be managed. The steps which will be taken to manage your particular claim will depend upon your individual circumstances and your policy wording. Please refer to your policy wording for full details of your insurance cover. If in doubt about what you should do, speak to your Broker or contact Vero on 0800 800 134. 

Wild Weather Claims Process

NZ Government Land categorisation

NZ Government Land Insurance (EQC)

Help and support options

Severe Weather Alerts

Under 5 minutes short videos

Damage Clean Up

Home, Contents, Motor

Business Damage


Cash Settlements