Natural Disaster

If you’re hit by a natural disaster and you have a Vero home insurance policy, you’ll also have cover through the Earthquake Commission’s EQCover programme.

EQCover gives you protection for damage caused by natural disasters like earthquakes, natural landslips, volcanic eruptions, hydrothermal activity, tsunamis and fires resulting from these natural disasters. It also covers your land for storm and flood damage.

How does EQCover work?

From 1 July 2019 you will be entitled to EQCover of up to $150,000 (+ GST) for a residential building. If the damage to your home exceeds that amount, it’s called going over-cap. Your Vero Residential Home insurance will cover the rest of the costs subject to the terms and conditions of your policy, up to your sum insured.

For more on the EQC, visit their website.


You need to lodge your claim with EQC within two years

You need to lodge your claim with EQC within two years (though it is always best if you notify us or the EQC of damage as soon as possible, as in some cases delays could adversely affect your cover). If your home is damaged in a natural disaster, you need to lodge a claim with the EQC first.

How to make a claim


Lodge your claim with EQC over the phone on 0800 326 243 or online. Make sure you make a note of your EQC claim number.

Lodge a claim with EQC


Call the Vero Natural Disaster Line on 0800 808 121 to notify us about your EQC claim.

Because EQCover excludes some parts of your property (such as driveways, fences, swimming pools or tennis courts), we can help you understand your policy with us and what you are covered for in the event of a natural disaster.

We may ask you for additional information to understand the nature of the damage suffered by your property.


EQC or Vero will discuss your claim with you and advise you of the next steps towards resolving your claim.

Any changes will be communicated to you - either by EQC, or by us.

Stay safe and get things sorted

People first

Your safety is most important, so make sure you, your family and your neighbours are OK. Get to a safe location.

Property second

If it is safe to do so, check the main structure of your home or buildings for damage. Put out any small fires, clean up spilled liquids and turn off any main water or gas valves. If it seems unsafe, leave immediately or don’t go inside.

Take photographs

Try to take photographs of any damage, to help us resolve your claim more quickly.

Take care

Be careful around naked flames, electricity or gas, broken items or anything that could fall. If you’ve been in an earthquake there could be aftershocks, so be prepared to drop, cover and hold.


Call us if you need help or advice

If your home has severe structural damage or is uninhabitable, we can give you advice on what to do. Your policy may also include benefits like temporary accommodation that can help you get through.

Call Call us0800 808 121 or contact us.

Our claims promise

We know that claim time can be particularly stressful for customers. Our claims teams aim to settle straightforward claims immediately.

If your claim is a bit more complicated, we’ll work with you and your broker or adviser to ensure your claim gets processed as quickly and efficiently as possible. Either way, we promise to treat all our customers fairly.

We’d love to hear your feedback, whether it’s good or bad. Give us feedback or make a claims complaint.

Fair Insurance Code Member Logo

We are a member of the Insurance Council of NZ and adhere to the Fair Insurance Code, which provides you with assurance that we have high standards of service to our customers.